Advanced Sheep Production Course
This is a two-day course designed for the sheep producer with some experience. Course content will be more advanced than the beginner level of sheep production, and attendance will be limited to allow for one-on-one interaction and a positive learning experience.
Date: November 17-18, 2023
Where: Saskatoon Inn and Conference Centre, 2002 Airport Dr, Saskatoon SK.
A block of rooms has been reserved at a rate of $139.00/night. Phone 306-242-1440 to reserve and ask for the Saskatchewan Sheep Development Board rate
Registration: $275 plus GST per person or $475 plus GST for a couple.
*Includes lunch and coffee breaks both days but does not include accommodation. *
A $50 non-refundable deposit per-person is required to reserve a spot. You may register by contacting the Saskatchewan Sheep Development Board at either (306) 933-5200 or [email protected]
- Saskatchewan Sheep Development Board – Gord Schroeder 8:00-8:20
– Opening comments
– SCAP and SSDB programing highlights
- Nutrition Dr. Greg Penner (University of Saskatchewan) and Jenifer Heyden (SK. Ministry of Agriculture) 8:25-12:00
– the role of energy/protein, minerals/vitamins, and water
– feeding prolific ewes throughout the production cycle
– feeding lambs at different stages, on mom, weaning, growing, and finishing
– feeding replacement ewe lambs and ram lambs
– feed testing and understanding the report
– Sheepbytes Nutrition Program
- Management Systems – Ewe Planner Program – Brad Marceniuk (Economist SK Ministry of Agriculture) 12:45-1:25
– program introduction and demonstration.
- Marketing for the Best Results – Gord Schroeder (Saskatchewan Sheep Development Board). 1:30-2:15
– marketing practices that add value
– market options
- Dealing with Flock Realities – Dr Fritz Schumann (Western College of Veterinary Medicine) 2:45-4:30. This will be a lab session at the WCVM.
– methods of proper euthanasia.
– necropsy and what to look for when diagnosing a problem
– submitting samples to the lab and or using pictures to work with your vet
- Reproduction – Dr Colin Palmer (Western College of Veterinarian Medicine) 8:00-10:45
– understanding reproduction
– synchronization of ewe – in season/out of season options
– accelerated lambing
– inducing ewes
– reducing embryonic and fetal losses
– pregnancy scanning
- Ram Breeding Soundness Examination – Dr Dinesh Dadarwal (Western College of Veterinary Medicine) 10:50-12:00
– how to complete a breeding soundness examination
– ADF ram evaluation project objectives and update
- Management Systems – Owen Gentes (Producer/Shearwell Farmworks Trainer/GenOvis participant) 12:45-1:40
– electronic record keeping genetic evaluation systems for flock management and analysis
– producer testimonial and demonstration
- Flock Heath – Dr. Chris Clark (University of Saskatchewan) 1:45-4:00
– lambing time management, producing strong healthy and reducing lamb mortality
– importance of a VCPR and flock health
– flock biosecurity: best practices for prevention of disease introduction, spread with in the flock and preventing disease export (including abortion).